Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"New" Dining Room Table & Hutch

Well, new to us at least :) As I mentioned in previous posts, I am redoing the toy room to make it serve two functions, one part playroom, one part formal dining.  I made the decision a few months back and have been searching for a dining set online ever since.  I knew I wanted a vintage or antique table because a.) I like the look for antiques and b.) the new furniture you find at a lot of the chain stores is rubbish, in my opinion...especially considering the cost. I was searching for a farmhouse table or something French provincial similar to this:


I looked to the web for dining room inspiration:




and came up with a little olioboard of ideas for the room (about two months ago), which you can read about here:


I continued looking even though I was in Alaska, and my mother in law searched the San Antonio craigslist  site for me all the way from Michigan; I <3 her.  

She even pinned her findings for me in a pinterest board.  She's the bestest :) 

When I returned from Alaska, I found two sets that were French Provincial styles from the 1950's.  One set included a china cabinet and buffet.  The price was reasonable, but I just wasn't sure.  The set was an oak color, and if you have read my blog, you know I can't stand the look of oak. That wasn't a deal breaker though, since I could always paint and stain it to look like the turquoise table above.  I held off on buying it because it was too much furniture for the room, since Eva's toys are still in there.  A few days later, the second listing was posted.  This set only came with a china cabinet, but the good news was that it was already a cream color with gold accents.  The owner didn't paint it, that's just the way it was produced. Can you say  PERFECT?!!!  The down side was it was about 35 mins away and I would have to rent a U-haul to pick it up.  It seemed like a hassle, so I held off...and it's a good thing I did, because they dropped their asking price by $100 a few days later.  That sealed the deal.  I enlisted help from my family and together we went out to get it.  Ready for it???

TAAADAAAA!!



Closer look at the matching china cabinet:


ooooooh iiiieeeee, look at those curves and those legs! haha


One of the two captain's chairs:


Don't worry I'm changing this fabric ASAP...more on that later.



It comes with 6 chairs and 2 leaves (not pictured), which extend the top to 98", perfect for holiday get-togethers. 


This is what lines the inside of the cabinet.  It has two glass shelves, but I'm not sure what I'm going to put in it yet.


Sooo, what do you think?  Eva and I love it.  At first I wasn't sure if I liked the cane-back chairs or the brown table top, but they've grown on me.  I didn't know what was going on with the gold etched criss-cross glass, but apparently that's common in older hutches.  I searched the web and found that a lot of people had cut theirs out and replaced the glass with chicken wire.  It's quite the trend, but one that I won't be following.

It's good to finally be done searching.  The past few days I've been focusing on paint colors for the room and fabric.  I've already found fabric for the chairs and to cover Eva's toy unit.  I used the fabric to make simple rod pocket curtains, and I will post a tutorial for that this week. I also have to type up a tutorial for a college football wreath I made this weekend.  It's super simple and I think you'll like it. All of this plus dog sitting 4 pups in addition to our two has kept me busy, busy, busy.  On that note, can you believe it's already September?!  Yay! I'm looking forward to decorating for the new season.  

3 comments:

  1. I love the aqua table and chairs but would not need a china cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love the aqua table and chairs but no need for a china cabinet.

    ReplyDelete