Saturday, November 3, 2012

Halloween 2012

Happy November!  I can't believe time has passed so quickly. 

We had a great Halloween and I hope you all enjoyed yours as well.  

The night before, we had invited our friends over so Eva and Emilia could make Halloween cookies and cupcakes.  They really enjoyed it!  It was funny to watch their little fingers trying to pour batter into the cups (such a mess)!  


I can't even lecture her about licking cake batter off her hands because I do it too!

The girls lost interest after a few minutes so of course I ended up baking and decorating the cupcakes.  Here's how they turned out:





My neighbor brought over Krispy Kreme donuts...OMG...as if we needed more junk food, but they were so good!



I stayed up late working on everything.  I was so tired, but it's my fault.  I waited till the day before Halloween to buy all the candy and carve the pumpkins.  Here's how our jack-o-lanterns looked when we were finished with them (and by "we," I mean "I"):


This is where I always keep the candy for our trick or treaters:


I've had that thing for years, but I still love it.  

My procrastination truly knows no bounds.  I waited till the day of Halloween to make alterations to my vest.  It was too small in the chest area so I had to add a panel to the back.  Fortunately it all worked out. Here we are in our pirate costumes:



My very talented mother in law made mine and Eva's costumes.  All I had to do was add a hat, boots, and white shirt.  My mom found her dress at a Halloween store.

I decided not to put the dogs in costumes this year. Instead they got matching pirate sweaters.  I'm not sure Sarge liked being clothed again:


He didn't mind it so much when we lived in Illinois.  He used to wear t-shirts and sweaters everyday. 

Chica didn't mind the sweater much at all:


Even my soon-to-be brother in law dressed up:


Yup, that's right, my sister is getting married!  They asked if they could have a small backyard reception here at my house and of course, I said yes.  I'm making a few of the decorations, so you'll probably be reading about them in the next week or so. I might even throw in some tutorials in case any of you are wanting ideas for your own receptions.  

Back to Halloween.  We went to visit my aunt who lives not far from me.  Her street is always full of trick or treaters.  Here's a picture of my mom and Eva, right before we headed down the road to trick or treat.


All of these pictures are blurry.  I was using my phone and probably had it on the wrong setting.  My battery died just a few mins later, so I didn't get many pictures of her filling up her basket. 



After about 30 mins of trick or treating, we came home to enjoy our food and treats. Eva's friend was wearing her dance outfit, so of course, Eva wanted to put on one of her princess dresses:


I took these pictures when we got home.  I was happy with how the pumpkins turned out:

I was especially proud of my witch because I carved her free-hand.






The jack-o-lantern face and bat were also free hand, but the pumpkin man above was from a book.  


We got all of maybe 7 trick or treaters...so sad!  Same thing happened last year.  I guess that's one down side to living on a double cul-de-sac. 

All in all, we had a great day.  I usually go all out and put up tons of Halloween decorations, but this year, I just waited till the last minute to do everything.  I vow next year to do a lot better. 

Now it's time to think about Thanksgiving!  Can you believe it? It's already time to start planning.  I don't mind.  It's one of my favorite holidays because I get to cook for my family.  I love seeing everyone's faces at my table. 
 So we have a wedding reception in 7 days followed by Thanksgiving, then Christmas shopping.  There is no end to the chaos, but I wouldn't have it any other way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment