Thursday, October 18, 2012

Dining Room Update: New Pillows

It's finally time for a dining room update.  I know it's been a while since I last posted anything regarding this room, but progress has been slow.  Mainly I've just been undecided about what to do with either side of the mirror on the accent wall.  I've also been slow to decorate the inside of the china cabinet.  One thing I knew I wanted to do was add some color via accents.  I purposely kept the room neutral so that I can change the color scheme in there easily, simply by changing out pillows, flowers, and plates.  

You all know that purple is one of my least favorite colors.  I'm more partial to blues, greens, and grays, but for some reason, I have been dying to add purple to the dining room.  It all started with my desire to paint this room purple gray. If you follow the blog, you know that I changed my mind and painted it a taupe-y gray.  However, the desire for purple or lilac is still there, so I decided to make the first set of pillows for this room out of purple fabrics using the same envelope pillow technique.  

Fortunately for me, Joann's has been having a 40% sale on their home decor fabrics for a few weeks now.  Before I left for Louisiana, I kind of went fabric crazy...


I wanted the fabric on the second roller in this picture:

(Ps, I also bought some of the fabric from the bottom two rollers...more on that later)

Unfortunately I completely missed it on my first trip and wound up buying something similar, but not quite as pretty :/ You can see it in the first picture.  It's still pretty, but not exactly the one I wanted...oh well!

Joann's also had a 50% discount on their pillow forms.  I picked up three the same day I picked up the dining room fabric. 


Then I went to Louisiana, leaving all my projects waiting.  

Last night I finally sat down with my fabrics and pillow forms, and made four pillow covers, two for the bench, and one for each arm chair:


Here are a bunch of pictures from different angles:



I moved the arm chairs from the table and put them on either end of the toy storage system  because I want to purchase two different chairs in order to achieve that mixed chair look that is so popular right now.  I bought some plate holders with the intention of hanging them above the chairs, but haven't hung them because I'm not 100% sure that I like them.




Adding in purple was my attempt to somehow incorporate that huge purple castle that Eva's playing with in the picture below:

That thing drives me crazy, but she loves it, so I just have to suck it up and find a way to make it work.

(I think Eva was purposely walking in front of the camera.  She kind of loves attention, lol.)

Here's a closer look at the two fabrics:

 I wanted to add in a monogrammed pillow, but I don't know if that would be too much.  


Both of these fabrics are Waverly.  The predominantly purple one is "Lovely Lattice" and the other is "Lola."

It feels good to finally be working on this room again, but I still haven't found comfortable chairs to put at the head and end of the table.  I'm currently working on adding items to the china cabinet and I may sew a runner for the table.  I'm hoping to finish this room before November 1st, but we shall see!

So what do you think of the purple?  I like it for now, but can already see myself changing it up for Christmas.  I guess that's the nice thing about neutral rooms, they are easy to change!

Ps, I will be linking up to the following parties:











14 comments:

  1. Love the lavender. the patterns are gorgeous! Im getting ready soon to do a room in lavenders and purples. i agree the monogram may be too much...Glad to be following u,stop by for a visit if ya get a chance........Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, thanks so much for stopping by, commenting, and subscribing! I think I'll skip the monogram for now. I subscribed to your blog as well and just wanted to tell you that I absolutely love that chalkboard bed!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful space, Veronica! I love your color choices. I found your project at Tatertots and Jello features. I am your newest follower. Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Megan! I love the projects on your blog!

      Delete
  3. Those walls are spectacular!! Great pillows just add to the whole beautiful room...
    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linsey! I just saw your blog. Your house is lovely!

      Delete
  4. I love the purple! Your new pillows are fabulous! I am featuring your project today on my fb page. Come grab a "I Was Featured" button from the blog. Thanks for linking to Cowgirl Up!
    :) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crafty-Texas-Girls/140299076008437

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw this idea at Tattertots and Jello. You are so smart to cover up a cluttered bookshelf with pretty fabric! I know just which bookshelf I want to cover! Thanks so much for the idea. I'll be pinning and sharing this idea on OneCreativeMommy.com on Facebook. Please feel free to stop by my site and grab a feature button. My latest linky party and giveaway are open too, if you have any more great ideas to share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, again, Veronica. I want to pin the pics of your fabric-covered shelves, but I just realized that this post is about the pillows (which are also very pretty!), not about the shelves. Did you post about the shelves somewhere else? I'd love to pin that post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Wow, my computer went crazy and copied the wrong link! I just realized it. I'm sorry! This is the right link:

      http://chaosinmycasa.blogspot.com/2012/09/diy-rod-pocket-curtains-dining-room.html

      It can also be found in the "Crafts and Projects" tab. The thumbnail says DIY rod pocket curtains.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. loving the lavender ( my fav color) the waverly fabrics are so pretty. I'm hopping over from Cowgirl up. Happily enjoying my visit to your sweet blog and now following along. Hugs

    ReplyDelete